Q: I can sketch my drawings will that be good enough for the planning application?
A: Planning Applications require scale drawings of the existing property and of the proposed project. Many people are quite happy to sketch out their ideas but most do not have the facilities to draw these at the required scale. This is where we can help. We will visit your property, discuss your proposals, do site sketches, take measurements and photographs to support the application process. At the time of survey an invoice will be issued for this work. The plans will then be produced showing what has been discussed and agreed. Plans of the existing property will be drawn first and this work will be invoiced on completion. A draft copy of the plans will be shown to you usually in our office where they can be seen on our large monitor and printed plans. Once you are satisfied with the plans, the Planning Application will be submitted through the Planning Portal Electronically and you will be given a copy of the completed plans via email and print for you to keep.
Q: How do I get started?
A: Here is a rough guide on how to obtain Planning Permission
- Telephone or e-mail us to discuss what you would like to achieve with your project or ask us for advice.
- We will promptly send you an estimate setting out all the costs and fees required for your project.
- Contact us to book in a Survey or a consultation on-site.
- We will arrange a mutually convenient date and time to meet on site for the measured survey to be carried out. A deposit will be required at this point.
- We will have the draft copy of the drawings ready for viewing within a 2 – 3 week period.
- We will ask you to visit our office to view the plans where any amendments required to the drawings can be made while you are there.
- Once you are happy with the drawings we will issue a copy of the Completed Plans and our invoice for the balance for the work to date plus any additional items due such as printing costs, ordnance survey maps and site plans.
- Once payment is received we will complete and submit your Planning Application into the Local Authority on your behalf.
All of the above will be carried out at the cost agreed from our estimate. We will never add unexpected costs at the end of the works. Any additional work will be charged by the hour or at an agreed fixed price.
Q: Do your fees include the council planning fee?
A: The Planning fee is paid on your behalf by us at the time the applications are submitted. This is done electronically and helps to make the process simpler and complete upon submission. We will show you the cost of any fees separately to our own fees in our estimate and we will charge you for the fees on our invoice to you when due.
Q: How long will it take for the decision from the Local Authority for the Planning Application?
A: Once your Planning Application has been accepted and validated by the Planning Authority we should receive a formal decision within 8 weeks. This is longer for projects that are more complicated such as listed buildings, commercial or other non domestic projects.
Q: Once planning permission is granted can the building work commence?
A: No. Planning permission is not he only approval required. Building Control approval is also required for any building project to ensure that work is carried out to the current Building Regulations.
Q: What do I need to do to gain Building Control approval?
A: The planing drawings alone do not show enough information. Additional work is required to produce a detailed specification for the project and sectional drawings indicating the construction.
Q: How long will it take to obtain Building Control approval?
A: The process for obtaining Building Control Approval takes approximately 5 to 6 weeks from submitting the application.
Basically and realistically you should allow a minimum of 2 – 3 month to obtain both sets of approvals from your Local Authority.
This is done electronically and helps to make the process simpler and complete upon submission. We will show you the cost of the fees in our estimate and we will charge you for the fees on our invoice to you.